The other day .. I did Falafel from scratch .. and according to my better half, they tasted better than the ones he used to buy from Abul Hul in Bahrain!
Now this is a tried recipe I got over the phone from my Saudi friend! Bon appetite everyone!
Ingredients: chick peas (dried hard ones in a bag); parsley; cilantro; cumin powder; salt; garlic; and onions
1. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
2. Rinse and drain the soaked chickpeas
3. Grind the chickpeas with all the ingredients in a mixer
4. Add a teaspoon of salt and another teaspoon of cumin powder for each cup of chickpeas
5. I used four onions and a whole garlic for the bag of chickpeas
Once you grind everything together you will have a lot of green paste which you don't necessarily want to turn into Falafel immediately. So here comes some ingenuity. You divide the falafel paste into small portions in containers or bags and freeze them for another day.
For the falafel paste you want to prepare:
1. Heat a generous amount of oil in a frying pan
2. Round the falafel and brown on both sides
1. Just bloody eat them
2. Remember some Tahine, Arabic bread and a salad on the side.